YIELD: 8 servings
1 leg of lamb, 3 lbs., cubed
Greek yogurt, 1.5 cups
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup garam masala mixture
1 Tbsp. salt or to taste
For red peanut curry puree:
1/2 lb. Spanish onion, chopped
6 cloves, garlic, chopped,
2 oz. red curry paste
1 cup boiled peanuts, shelled
3 Tbsps. peanut oil
1 Tbsp. salt
For spiced culcha bread
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup peanut flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsps. honey
4 Tbsps. Greek yogurt
2 Tbsps. oil
nigella seeds, for garnish
sesame seeds, for garnish
roasted peanuts with garam masala, for garnish
extra flour or water as needed to adjust consistency
For radish and cucumber raita:
1 English cucumber, sliced
1/4 lb. radish, sliced
1/4 lb. onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup fresh mint
1 Tbsp. ground coriander
2 Tbsps. agave nectar
1/2 Tbsp. salt
1/3 cup scallion, ⅓ cup., bias cut, for garnish
1. For kebabs: Evenly coat lamb with salt and garam masala mixture.
2. Add the peanut butter and yogurt And mix will.
3. Let marinate for at least 2 hours in refrigerator. Overnight is best.
4. Skewer three lamb cubes on soaked skewers.
5. Grill on each side until medium rare (about 5 minutes).
6. For red peanut curry puree: Sweat onions and garlic until tender.
7. Add garlic, onion, shelled boiled peanuts, red curry paste, and salt to blender.
8. Puree until smooth. Use peanut oil to help emulsify. Use water to thin if need be.
9. Store until service.
10. For bread: mix all dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately.
11. Make a well in the four. Slowly pour the liquid in the center of the well and incorporate the flour from the outside in.
12. Gnead the dough to an even consistency. Should be similar to pizza dough, but a little more moist.
13. Cut the dough into 1 oz pieces and roll out into rustic, circle-like shapes.
14. Cook in a dry skillet like you would with tortillas.
15. After it is cooked, schmear it with olive oil and sprinkle on the garnish.
16. For radish and cucumber raita: slice cucumbers, radish, onion, and garlic. Chop mint, toast spices.
17. Mix with agave nectar, yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar and salt.
18. Garnish with scallion
Recipe: Matthew Francis and Christopher Joseph for National Peanut Board competition