YIELD: 12 servings
16 oz. elbow macaroni
3 Tbsps. butter
¼ cup flour
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. dry mustard
¼ tsp. pepper
2 ½ cups milk
2 cups smoked cheddar cheese, shredded (smoke in house with hickory if possible)
1 cup smoked Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (smoke in house with hickory if possible)
½ lb. cheddar cheese, shredded (not smoked)
liquid smoke, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and cook pasta according to package directions.
2. In large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth; take off heat.
3. Little by little, stir in milk until smooth. Stir constantly for 10 minutes on heat until thick; take off heat.
4. Stir in 1 ½ cups smoked cheddar (reserving the rest), smoked Monterey Jack and regular cheddar until melted. Add liquid smoke to taste.
5. Place cooked macaroni in greased casserole dish, pour cheese mixture over and mix well. Sprinkle with remaining smoked cheddar.
6. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes.