The area that houses the food and beverage service stations, salad bar and cash registers in the food court at the University of Connecticut Health Center is closing for six to eight weeks in order to enhance the offerings. Sodexo, the Health Center’s food and nutrition services vendor, says the area will undergo renovations that will streamline the serving areas and provide additional menu items.
In the meantime, Sodexo will operate a temporary servery out of two sections of the dining area weekdays from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends and holidays. Offerings will include self-serve hot stations, grill items, premade salads, sandwiches, a dessert section and coffee and bottled drinks.
New features will include…
• A cash register at the entrance for “Grab & Go” items
• Pizza area with additional offerings of calzones and single-serving casseroles
• Redesigned grill area that will be larger and enable faster service
• Two separate deli areas offering panini, wraps and sandwiches
• A larger salad bar with more room to maneuver around it.
“The salad bar is going to be the most impressive,” says Kathy Reznik, director of food and nutrition. “We’re taking out the coffee station, the other hot center island, and the old salad bar, and putting a new, U-shaped salad bar in its place, with soup and bread offerings. The best part about it is, we can stock it from the inside without getting in the way of our customers.”
Third-shift employees can fax orders and pick them up in the main kitchen on the ground floor.