YIELD: 100 servings (each 7.03 oz. serving provides 2 oz. eq. grain and 2 oz. eq. meat/meat alternative and 1/8 cup red/orange vegetable)
12 lbs. 8 oz. whole grain enriched spaghetti
12 lbs. 8 oz. ground beef (85/15 fat), raw
1 1/2 gallons, water
5 lbs. 4 oz. onions, fresh, diced (to yield 3 qts. diced)
3 qts. + 1Ž2 cup crushed tomoates, low sodium, concentrated
3/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup cider vinegar
2 Tbsps. ground cumin
1 1/2 cups chili powder
2 Tbsps. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh minced garlic (24 cloves)
3/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsps. ground cloves
2 Tbsps. cinnamon
3 Tbsps. salt
6 whole bay leaves (place in cheese cloth before adding and remove prior to serving)
3 lbs. 2 oz. American cheese, shredded
1. Mix spices in a small bowl, cover and set aside.
2. Open cans of tomatoes; do not drain.
3. In a steam jacket kettle or tilt skillet add beef and 1 1Ž2 gallons of water. Bring to a simmer while stirring until ground beef is in very small pieces. Simmer for 30 minutes and then add all remaining chili ingredients.
4. Simmer for 3 hours on low, uncovered.
5. Remove bay leaves. Place chili in warming cart and hold above 135°F.
6. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Hold pasta above 135°F.
7. To serve: 1 cup pasta, using a 1-1 cup spoodle. Top with 1Ž2 cup chili using 4 oz. ladle. Add 1/8 cup or 0.5 oz. of shredded cheese using 1 #30 scoop.
Photo and recipe: Barilla America