YIELD: 8 servings
1 unbaked pastry shell (pate brisée to fit 10" × 3" quiche pan)
5 large eggs, beaten
2 cups half and half cream
1½ tsps. each kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, mixed together
1 Tbsp. canola oil
2 cups ground turkey
4 poblano peppers, small dice
1 medium white onion, small dice
7 cloves garlic, minced
1 heaping tsp. dried thyme
1 heaping tsp. dried fennel seed, crushed
1 heaping tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. each kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup dry white wine
1½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Bake pastry shell in a preheated 350°F oven until golden brown. Remove shell from oven and reserve. Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
2. For custard: Whisk together eggs, cream, salt/pepper mixture and sugar. Let rest
3. For sausage: Place oil in large heavy sauté pan and sauté ground turkey, poblano peppers, onion and garlic over medium-high heat, until most of the pink has disappeared from the turkey.
4. Stir in thyme, fennel seed, oregano, salt, pepper and white wine. Simmer until wine has evaporated.
5. To assemble: Fill cooked pastry shell with sausage mixture allowing room for the custard. Sprinkle cheddar cheese atop sausage mixture. Pour custard over filling in a circular motion to ensure custard is evenly distributed.
6. Bake in preheated 375°F oven on middle rack for 20 minutes. Rotate quiche 180 degrees and continue baking for 15-30 minutes until the top of the quiche ripples slightly. Let rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Recipe and photo: the National Turkey Federation