YIELD: 4 Servings
1 Each Maple Leaf Farms Duck Breast, Trimmed fat layer ¼ inch and score the breast skin side up 25 times.
1 Tablespoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Season the duck breast with 1 Tablespoon salt and pepper.
3. In a small oven proof sauté pan, cook the breast skin side down, over low heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until skin is golden brown.
4. Pour off fat as it accumulates but keep 2 Tablespoons for the sauce for the coleslaw.
5. Turn duck over in pan and place in oven. Roast for about 10 minutes or until it reads 135°F. on an instant thermometer.
6. Let duck rest for 10 minutes, then slice it thinly across the grain, skin side up.
½ Cup Cilantro Leaves
¼ Cup Thai Basil
2 Tablespoons Korean Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Ginger
1 Clove Garlic
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Mirin
2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Reserved Duck Fat
To Taste, Salt and Pepper
In a food processor, combine the cilantro, Thai basil, Korean chili powder, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, Mirin and lime juice and pulse until herbs are finely chopped. Add oil and duck fat until fairly smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
1 Each Carrot, shredded
1 Each Daikon Radish, shredded
1 Each Scallion, shredded
To coat Sauce
In bowl, add all veggies and add a little sauce until the veggies are nicely coated (toss in bowl).
Place tortillas on plate, top them with duck, coleslaw. Place sauce in Ramekin and fold tacos and serve.
Recipe: Matthew Wells, student; Le Cordon Bleu, Austin, TX;
Photo: Maple Leaf Farms