YIELD: 4 sandwiches
1 medium red onion, halved end-to-end, sliced very finely
1 large tomato, sliced 1⁄8” thick
¼ English cucumber
fine sea salt, to taste
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
4 Tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsps. rice wine vinegar
8 slices whole grain bread, ½” thick
6 oz. prepared hummus
12 oz. roasted turkey, sliced
4 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, sliced
2 oz. sprouts (such as alfalfa)
4 Tbsps. whole grain mustard
1. In three separate bowls, season the onion, tomato and cucumber with a pinch of salt and two quarter-turns of the pepper mill. Add the olive oil and vinegar to the onion. Toss each bowl lightly to incorporate seasoning.
2. Toast the bread slightly.
3. Arrange four of the slices for assembly and divide the hummus evenly between them, spreading it from edge to edge.
4. Place the turkey slices on top of the hummus and add the cheese slices on top of the turkey.
5. Distribute the tomato slices and then the cucumber slices evenly between each sandwich and top with sprouts. Spread the mustard on the remaining slices and top the sandwiches with them.
Photo and recipe: La Brea Bakery