YIELD: 4 (1 cup) servings
1 tsp. unsalted butter
1 tsp. olive oil
¼ cup celery, small dice
¼ cup onion, small dice
¼ cup green bell pepper,
1 ½ tsps. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. scallion, white part only,
1 ½ tsps. Cajun or Creole
¾ cup medium salsa
1 tsp. Texas Pete hot sauce
1½ cups low sodium chicken
¾ cup uncooked white rice
2 oz. chicken thighs, grilled, cut
into 1” pieces
2 oz. anduouille sausage, grilled,
cut into 1” pieces
2 oz. crawfish tail meat, cooked
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large, heavy stockpot or Dutch oven, melt butter and olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic and scallion; sauté until onions are translucent and vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
3. Add Cajun or Creole seasoning, salsa and hot sauce. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add chicken stock and rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Stir occasionally to keep rice from scorching. Cook for the amount of time specified on rice package or until rice is done.
5. Stir in chicken, sausage and crawfish. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Photo and recipe: Texas Pete