YIELD: 8 SERVINGS
2 lbs. butternut squash
2 cloves garlic, minced
1½ cups Romano cheese, grated, divided
¼ cup dry bread crumbs
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper, to taste
7 cups sliced onions
2 Tbsps. vegetable or olive oil
8 oz. lasagna noodles
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, sliced
Red Pepper Sauce:
2 red bell peppers
⅓ cup olive oil
1 clove garlic
1. Halve and seed squash and place cut-side down in baking dish. Add ¼" water to dish, cover and bake in a 400°F oven for 35 minutes or until tender.
2. Scoop out squash and mash with garlic, ¼ cup Romano cheese, bread crumbs and nutmeg. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Turn onions into large skillet and sauté for 15 minutes in oil until tender and golden.
4. Boil noodles as directed, drain and rinse.
5. For Red Pepper Sauce: Broil peppers on pan, turning often, until blistered and blackened on each side. Place in plastic bag and steam 10 minutes. Peel, seed and dice to get about 1 cup. Combine peppers with olive oil and garlic in electric blender and purée.
6. To assemble: Place half the noodles in oiled 13×9-inch baking pan. Layer all squash mixture evenly over noodles. Top with all onions. Dab ricotta cheese over onions then add mozzarella and 1 cup Romano cheese. Layer last half noodles on top and sprinkle with final ¼ cup Romano cheese. Cover and bake in a 400°F oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until hot throughout. Zigzag red pepper sauce on top.
Recipe and image: National Onion Association