YIELD: 180 servings
80 lbs. stew meat
15 lbs. potatoes, peeled
10 lbs. long green chiles, diced into small strips
4 oz. pepper
4 oz. garlic powder
8-10 oz . salt
8 oz. cumin
1- 2 lbs. roasted jalapenos, peeled, to taste
15 gallons water
5 lbs. tomato sauce
1. Cook beef in tilting skillet at 360°F.
2. Add salt, cumin, garlic powder, pepper and water.
3. Once meat starts to brown, add potatoes, diced chiles and jalapenos.
4. Add tomato sauce. Simmer stew until potatoes are tender.
5. Reduce heat to about 140°F and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Note: For extra flavor, add 21⁄2 lbs. fresh diced onions and 21⁄2 lbs. tomatoes.
Recipe from Joe Martinez, director of foodservice, Thomason Hospital, El Paso, TX.