YIELD: 12 SERVINGS/6 PIZZAS
6 each 12" jalapeno flatbread or tortilla
3 cups prepared spicy salsa
1 ¼ lbs. mushrooms, sliced
6 oz. red onion, thinly sliced
3 cups Seasoned Black Beans (recipe follows)
6 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6 each fresh avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into eighths
36 slices jalapeno for garnish (optional)
24 sprigs fresh cilantro for garnish
36 additional thin slices of red onion for garnish
For Seasoned Black Beans:
(YIELD 8 cups)
2 Tbsps. vegetable oil
8 oz. white onion, diced
3 oz. celery, diced
6 oz. carrot, diced
1 ¼ lbs. potato, diced
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
2 cups water to cover
6 15 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1. Seasoned Black Beans: In a large sauce pan add oil, vegetables and spices and sauté until tender. Cover with water and cook until tender and mixture is thick, about 30 minutes. Stir in black beans. Refrigerate until needed.
2. Assembly for 1 pizza: top the flatbread with spicy salsa, spreading evenly and to the edges.
3. Top with mushrooms, red onion and black beans.
4. Top with Monterey Jack cheese and broil or bake until brown and crispy.
5. Top with sliced avocado.
6. Garnish with jalapeno, cilantro and red onion.
7. Cut into 8 pieces and serve immediately.
Recipe: Jesse Novak, Jesse's Café, Long Branch, NJ Photo: Hass Avocado Board